Monday, August 18, 2008

Give All...


Give Them All To Jesus - Evie


The song and music above has been playing a lot on my mind lately.

I first heard this from my room mate when I was staying in a university hostel during my tertiary study days way, waay, back in the mid 1980s. We shared a double room separated only by a wall that protruded a quarter of the way from between our windows that overlooked the quadrangle (it was Eusoff College, by the way). He was playing this song, one quiet afternoon, on his guitar and I was captivated by the song that I asked him to teach me the chords and how to sing it. He said that he caught that music from listening to the recording done by Evie from one of her albums. Taught me on the guitar he did and I never lost flavour with it since then.

Times changed, people and places come and go. But that music always remained with me and when not attended to, stuck at the back of my mind. When times get a little rough or occasions occur that open up an opportunity to touch base with my faith, or when just feeling simply nostalgic, I would just pick up a guitar lying around and would gradually come to playing Give Them All.

For all those in the Charismatic, praise & worship, Christian faith gatherings or has come to know Jesus, this music would not be too unfamiliar. For some, it may even bring back memories of their 'heady' days in the 80s, where among other things, musical lyrics still make sense and one need not wonder about what they really meant.

That's why they are sometimes called all-time-favourites....

(the song's words and music were by Phil Johnson and Bob Benson, 1975)

No comments: