Saturday, August 06, 2005

When the Spirits Roam

It has begun!

The Festival of the Hungry Ghosts started with much paper burning and candle burning yesterday. While walking through the HDB blocks around Marine Parade yesterday, could see places such as this being set up for prayers and appeasement. It is also the month, the only month of this year, where I don't gave to worry about ANY weddings! *whew*

Which means I get to breathe properly on Saturdays. Apart from that, it's still business as usual and a roaring business for those who go around to do the auctioning and entertaining for the 'spirits'.

Would you buy a lump of coal for hundreds of dollars? You only get it here during this season...

10 comments:

Young Minstrel said...

"i'm a soul man!"

Young Minstrel said...

erm..Paps..it is dangerous to take pictures of these, please? try not to do that again

Unknown said...

aha! Iknew something like this will be mentioned... ;)

Young Minstrel said...

how did ΓΌ ever know.. ;)

Anonymous said...

Did you ask for permission - frm the ghost? taking photos and don't go out late into the night. If you want to go out, wear your cruifix, rosary. (sound like spiritual battle) but RESPECT Them.

Anonymous said...

they say to be home by 5pm Fr. or it's only for children?

Anonymous said...

Fr, You have to at home because the ghosts come out in the night. No late night blading at the beach and walking around the estate.

It's only for a month, stay home. and not forgetting if you go for Getai, you cannot sit the 1st row infront it is for yr "Good Friends" - Hao Pengyou.

Unknown said...

roger! roger!

Anonymous said...

Fr, Better to be safe then Sorry.Also do not go SWIMMING, I went swimming and my ankle was cramping. It was only 1.5m swimming pool. Me and my friend went back to 1.2m. by the Pool-Bar. The 'ghost in the water'can pull you down.

Jigsawsg said...

Oh for Goodness Sake!

Look I'm all for respecting others beliefs but to expect one, especially a Catholic Priest, to worry about hungry ghosts...tis a tad too much for me. I would never think of desecrating any offering site, taking a photo is ok in my opinion. I also refuse to believe that a "datuk" guards each and every tree (must be zezillions of datuks!) that one must request permission to relieve oneself at the base or thereabouts! I respect nature, animals and plants, but my faith tells me that the Holy Spirit is stronger than any other spirit nearby hungry or not! :-p